Saturday 27 February 2010

Meeting the Students

I met a lot of my recorder students for the first time today! My more advanced students didn't return this year, so besides one 3rd year and one 2nd year student, the rest of them were all beginners! It was also the first year I'd be teaching music theory!

In one of my classes I had two sets of sisters, who were quite lively. One set of sisters were Eurasian! Go Eurasians!

I had a younger class of five-year-olds who were understandably quite quiet and reserved. My music theory class was also like that, even though they were a bit older.

I discovered that one of the students in my last class is a sister of a boy who I used to go to primary school with and also learn the recorder together with at the very school I teach now! That was interesting. I could see the resemblance!

What was funny when I was explaining the different parts of the recorder to all my first year students was that when I explained the top part of the recorder was called the head and the middle part the body, I asked them what they thought the bottom part was called and everyone thought it was called the legs! I tried telling them to think of a cat and they immediately realised that it's called the tail!

This will be the sixth year I've been teaching recorder, and fortunately I've got more students this year than any other year. Equally exciting is I've got my very own key to my classroom (or at least my classroom for Saturday morning). Roll on 2010!

No comments:

Post a Comment