Sunday 22 February 2009

Confusing Forecast

The stupid weather kept changing today, it rained for one moment, then it was sunny for a moment...We were so uncertain what the evening weather would be like that we decided not to attend the Sky City Starlight Symphony tonight. It turns out the weather wasn't so bad in the evening after all! We didn't attend last year's event either because of the weather, so while we've attended nearly every Starlight Symphony since its inception we've been absent from the event for two years now! We haven't been to a Christmas in the Park for a much longer period though, for valid reasons of course. I won't go too much into it except just to say that the programme is loaded with too many performances that have nothing to do with the purpose of the event!

Instead we went to visit the See family (friends of our family) to check out their computer to see if it worked. We also had some homemade pizza. I was a little greedy and had two slices (even though some had four in the time I ate two!), even though I knew I couldn't eat it. Well I ended up cutting the slices into very tiny pieces and trying to suck the hell out of them so that they were soft enough to swallow. That wasn't such a great success and it ended up taking me half an hour just to eat those two slices!

--

Friday night was 'activity night' at Youth Group. We were doing a 'Reverse Photo Scavenger Hunt' where each group was given three captions and we ha to come up with a creative photo to match the caption. We had to take a picture for the captions:
- A group of superheroes (Hamish and this other girl Rebecca posed with tea-towel capes in front of clouds drawn on a whiteboard)
- Overly-compassionate youth group members (handing a roll of toilet paper to someone under the toilet door/sheltering a small plant from the rain)
- Beauty (Calum checking himself out in the mirror)

OK so it doesn't sound like we were that creative but it's probably my ability (more like inability) to describe rather than our lack of creativity! I might post some photos when I get them.

--

Anyway I had my first recorder lessons for the year on Saturday morning. This year I have four classes, one 2nd year class, two 1st year class and one 4th year class. Aonghas was and will be helping me out for the next few weeks. He'll be playing the recorder for me while I teach, since I can't play it myself because of the surgery.

The 2nd and 4th year classes were nothing new to me since I already knew the students. As for the first year classes, I had a student in the first class who seemed to think she knew it all and liked to state the obvious. She said some...interesting things such as:

"My brother's called Klass with a K, but don't call him Classroom because he doesn't like it!"

(Upon asking students to put their recorders aside so we could use the tables to play a game):

"My mum just got me my recorder a few weeks ago and she doesn't want it to get stolen"

Me: "OK I'll get Aonghas to keep watch and make sure no one steals your recorder"

(Upon giving the students some cotton wool to play a little blowing game):

"My mum and my brother are allergic to cotton wool"

Me: "I'll chuck the cotton wool away as soon as they come near. Are you OK with cotton wool?"

"I am....as far as I know"

(Just before leaving class):

"I don't want to wait for next week to come around I want to have another recorder class now because it's so much fun." (with a serious face)

Some of the first year students were quite fast learners while some were a bit slower. I think I've got my work cut out for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment