Thursday 26 July 2012

Didn't Need so See the Dr Afterall!

I decided that it's about time I visit the doctor, seeing as I haven't seen one in years, and I really just want to make sure all my bits and pieces are working properly. I have a whole list of things I want to get checked:
- Blood Pressure
- Cholesterol
- See if I have Parkinson's
- Acne
- Persistent cough
- Possible hair loss
- Dry skin
- Stock up on Paracetamol

I asked my mum to book an appointment with my family doctor yesterday, and she told me that we could just walk in this afternoon for an appointment. That was odd but...OK.

This afternoon we showed up and the nurse first called me over to get some details off me. She asked me what was wrong and I said there wasn't really anything wrong with me. When I told her I was here just for a check-up, she said today was more just for people who couldn't make appointments to see the doctor for a certain thing. Uh oh!

i decided just to focus on my persistent cough. I'm pretty sure it's a post-nasal drip! When I got to see the doctor, I told her that originally I was thinking of getting just a regular check-up and that there's not actually anything really that wrong with me, and she told me the same thing the nurse told me.

In the end, I came away with a steroid nasal spray for my persistent cough/possible post-nasal drip. The doctor also recommended I get regular exercise (is she implying something?) and despite trying to see if she could prescribe something for my acne, all she told me was that it's hereditary for some people and can persist into the 20's.

The nasal spray is only partially funded, and I guess I could've bought it without a prescription. Even though I know the pharmacist who works at the neighbouring pharmacy, I didn't let the other pharmacist know I was an intern, and just let her instruct me on how to use it. I suppose getting the nasal spray on prescription and buying it outright would cost roughly the same in the end anyway.

The doctor did give me a piece of paper that would allow for me to get some blood tests done if that is some consolation.

No comments:

Post a Comment