Friday 30 March 2012

Painful Activities

Tonight was birthday night at youth group, and I had volunteered to organise activities for the group. The only thing was I couldn't think of anything! I ended up coming up with the idea of having a relay night, where we split the youth group into three groups and make them compete in a series of relays!

After Gabrielle led worship, it was time for Ben and me to lead the games! We split everyone up into three groups and herded them into the foyer where there was more space.

The first game was called the Tunnel relay, where members of each team had to form a tunnel with their bodies. The person at the back had to crawl under the tunnel to the front and rejoin the tunnel, and then the next person at the back would go ahead. Once a team had gotten through everyone in its team they won.


After a false start, team two won! Quite a few people disappeared after that game, and I didn't realise that they were all patching themselves up from the carpet burns they got!


The next game was the classic egg in the spoon race, using those small KFC spoons to carry a hard-boiled egg. I was a little worried they weren't boiled enough as my mum just cooked them before we left. Fortunately despite some of them being dropped several times, they were definitely hard-boiled! Once again team two won, with a little bit of suspected cheating going on by team one!



The teams then had to do a race, where team members had to pair up, with each person holding the other person's leg. They had to get to the other side without letting their other foot touch the ground or else they'd have to start again. No surprises as to who won..team two!


The next game involved each person to put a little cream on their noses. They had to pass a piece of cotton wool (or in this case fish tank filter material!) from one person to the next, using only their noses and the cream! I won't post too many photos of that activity as they're a little...wrong!


The teams then had to get on their knees, grab the person in front's ankles and form a caterpillar and make their way to the finish line first! Team two won again, and it was (I feel guilty for feeling this!) a little funny seeing everyone sitting on the floor rubbing their arms and knees! I didn't realise how painful it was till I saw some people were bleeding or had plasters on!


We still had a bit of time left, so I brought out the...LIE DETECTOR! I was going to get one volunteer from each team to try it and see who could answer the most questions, but after everyone watched Aonghas and I demonstrate (Aonghas didn't get shocked, but I did!), Karvin decided we better do something else! I think everyone got put off!

Everyone wanted to play Mafia, but not before they wanted me to have a little taste of my medicine! Everyone formed a U-shaped tunnel and got me to crawl underneath! I got a bit of carpet burn on my elbows and got stuck under a couple of the guys but it was kinda fun!

Mafia was a bit less painful and more dignified, even though I was accused of killing the second person in the game, who just happened to be Rebecca! Now why would I want to kill poor, innocent Rebecca?


We finished the night by celebrating birthdays from January to March which did include me. Grace baked a really yummy cake!


After tonight, I don't think they'll want me organising activity nights again!

No comments:

Post a Comment