Monday 21 September 2009

My One Second of Fame!

After keeping an eye out for familiar faces in the media for so long, I finally spotted myself in the media this morning on TV ONE's Asia Down Under. In fact, I spotted myself for the most part of one second! It was a blurry close-up shot of the side of me too!




The story was actually about David Choi, a talented violinist and med student who's the leader of our Medical and Health Sciences Students Symphony Orchestra (MHSSSO) and Ann Kim, another med student and flutist who actually started up the orchestra. They filmed and showed a lot of our fundraising concert too!



You can watch the story on Youtube and on TVNZ On Demand. Fast forward 10 seconds and you can see me, and my ONE second of fame! :D





Our first ever performance was at the University of Auckland School of Music on the first Monday night of the mid-semester break. The orchestra had three dress rehearsals on the day. I ended up missing them all because of my community pharmacy placement, and pretty much only got to the performance just in time! I did make it to the rehearsal the day before though which was good. I ended up switching seats with the real pro violist who knew what he was doing, and I sat at the back. That was OK with me, as I still am not too confident on the viola, especially after not playing for quite a while!

At the concert I sat a little further behind the two violists than usual, which meant I couldn't hear them as well! It felt weird, as it sounded like I was the only violist from where I was sitting! I was also aware that the Asia Down Under camera crew were present, and so was hoping they wouldn't hear my mistakes! All I had to make sure I was doing was that I was moving my bow at the right time! I could just pretend to make sounds whenever I got lost ;)

David Choi, the concert master, performed a few solos and was absolutely brilliant! To think he can juggle both studying medicine and music is amazing!

In the end it was a great concert. I got to know a few med students a bit better and make music at the same time! The audience was also great too, despite it being mostly med students!

No comments:

Post a Comment